Lan Messenger over VPN

Lorenz Kunde:

Hi all,
How can i make Lan Messenger to work over VPN?
Can someone help?
Thanks

Here is the app.

https://www.lanmessenger.net

P.S. Their support helped me with settings. Thx.

Eldred Hills:


I was just going to ask the same question.

I installed Lan Messenger on my desktop in the office with several others and we like it.

I installed it on my laptop and headed to a customer site, joined their wi-fi, VPNed into the office.

Connections to my servers and RDP sessions all worked, but Lan Messenger didn't.

What ports does Lan Messenger use to find peers?

Sophia Breitenberg:


You need to include their IP's in the LAN Messenger.ini. Not sure how to do it for an entire subnet, I just put each individual IP address

[BroadcastList]
1\Broadcast=10.19.0.255
size=3
2\Broadcast=10.1.3.14
3\Broadcast=10.1.3.14

And so on... 

Just place it anywhere in the config file

Eldred Hills:

I was looking for a cleaner answer then add the IP of each user.

We have 3 Class C address ranges in the office and a Class C VPN range.

That means I have to enter 1,024 addresses in each user's system,

The actual broadcast address doesn't appear to work.  That would be just 4 entries (x.x.x.255), 1 for each Class C.

Sophia Breitenberg:

Have you tried using the full IP netmask? For example 10.0.0.0/8 ? I haven't personally tried this in the office yet, but perhaps might be worth trying?

Eldred Hills:

Since the user interface in the application doesn't support adding a mask or slash, I suspect it won't be read, but I will give it a shot and let you know.

Comments